Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Snap Happy

If you've ever been around me for more than a minute, then you're well aware of two little "ticks" that I have. Tapping on my sternum and collar bone, and snapping. While I'm not entirely sure how I started the tapping, I do know where the snapping came from. In my favorite anime Fullmetal Alchemist, there is a character that can ignite the oxygen in the air by snapping. For a while I walked around snapping left and right imagining cars, trees, and dogs with sweaters exploding as I did.

It wasn't long before I noticed that my snapping was getting louder. So, for the last year or so I have been practicing to get it so loud that it would actually hurt the hears of anyone standing within a few yards of me. Today I reached a milestone on that quest. While I haven't tried it out on anyone yet, one out of every two or three snaps hurts my own ears. This is only after one year. If you see me next summer, I would recommend standing back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe your snapping in China created a local legend in some of the smaller villages we visited.
You were known as the "snap dragon."

I'm also deaf in one ear as a result. So, starting now, please use this power for good, not evil. "With great power comes great responsibility."